Providence Baptist Church was constituted on December 15, 1810. It was organized and worked as a Primitive Baptist Church about twenty five years. The following week in conference it was decided to build a log meeting house on lot number eleven, fifteenth district in Randolph County, which was changed to Jasper County a short time afterwards. This area had been a part of Baldwin County until a couple of years before. The Meeting house was to be of logs forty feet long. Sixty feet wide and twelve feet high. It was located close to where is now known at Leverett’s Quarter, two miles south of Machen. The first members were Jacob Mercer and wife, Joel (?), James Brown and wife, Martha, Martin Stanley and his wife Polly, Elizabeth Green, Rebecca Walden, John Ferrell, Elkamy Denson, Joshua Newton, James Richards. The first deacons were Martin Stanley and James Brown. Martin Stanley was sheriff of this county at a later time. As people moved into the community, more names were added to the roll. These include many names who are now residents of Jasper County, Viz: Mercers, Newtons, Bosleys, Leveretts, Martins(?), McDowells, Wilburns, Bogans, Whitfields and others.